Search This Blog

Monday, November 13, 2017

Time for a cardigan! Lutterloh supplement 301 pattern 189 πŸ’•

I can't say I have enough tops and blouses (does any woman ever have enough clothes?πŸ‘•πŸ‘–πŸ‘—) but I've decided to stop with the tops and blouses and make a cardigan so as I can first wear the ones I've already made πŸ˜’.  As a Greek in the Netherlands, you might guess that I'm always cold! So in order for me to wear a cute blouse, I need a warm cardigan on top😁

So yea, I'm gonna make a cardigan!
Again a pattern from Lutterloh, this time from supplement 301 pattern number 189:



 Lutterloh supplement 301 pattern 189



Just a simple cardi that goes well with everything!
An easy to draw pattern with minimum alterations for me, 'just' 5 cm off above the waist and we're good to go!


The paper pattern


 Well, no staring at fabrics this time, I've already made my choice! I got this beautiful knit that I bought especially for such a cardigan, also from Driessen stoffen (told you they're my favorite!)
To be honest, I was too scared to just cut my pretty fabric without trying the pattern out first...! Wha.. what if I didn't like it?!😱

So I tried it out first with a fabric that I had gotten from a second hand store! πŸ˜‹ It was a weird strip of fabric of 70 cm width and 3 meters length, so i just cut it lengthwise. Since I didn't have enough fabric to make it as long as the pattern, I made it approximately 20 cm shorter. It's a knit fabric a bit hairy/fluffy so, for some reason I took for granted that it was 2-way stretch. Excited about seeing how it'd turn out, I didn't pay attention. After cutting it guess what I noticed: it stretches only in the width (my length)... Yaay, I m making an uncomfortable cardigan!

Oh well, the whole purpose here was to test the pattern and see how it fits.
It turned out great! (Apart from the fact that it's too tight on the back and the sleeves, details...πŸ˜₯) Surprisingly the length is also good, just like the drawing. That's I guess an advantage of being short, you need less fabric 😝.
I also left out the welt pockets, ain't nobody got time for that! I made a pair of patch pockets instead.

Here's it is!


The test:front












The test:back








And now that we know it looks gooood, time to make the actual cardigan! πŸ˜ƒ
Here's my "preeecious" fabric!:



πŸ’—



There's not much to tell about the process of putting it together, quite a straight forward pattern, stitch shoulder and side seams, stitch sleeves and attach them to the cardi. I did make this one a bit longer since I had enough fabric. I didn't make a facing but used stretch piping instead for my test cardigan. For the actual cardigan, I made binding from the same fabric and used it double around the neckline and the front of the cardigan. I also did this for the sleeves.  Finishing off the hem, a button and buttonhole and done! 😁



Front








Up close




Side view




The back



Obviously this is a bit wider than the test cardi since this actually stretches in the direction it's supposed to 😜.

I love this pattern! Great basic cardigan, comfy and flattering,the sleeves are nice and narrow (be careful though if you have fuller upper arms!), just great!πŸ’Ÿ

I'm definitely going to be making this pattern again, with a few variations maybe? 😏















No comments:

Post a Comment